Protect Your Office from Cyber Attacks: A 6-Point Action Plan
With all of the publicity garnered lately by cyber attacks on huge nationwide companies, small and mid-sized businesses (SMBs) may be developing a false sense of security. In reality, 43 percent of businesses attacked are SMBs, so make sure your company is protected against the threat posed. In this blog post we cover some of the ways you can mitigate the risk of a cyber attack.
● Educate Employees — When it comes to digital security, your employees are both your first line of defense and your biggest vulnerability. Use consistent training and education to develop a culture of caution. Unexpected email attachments, messages requesting login information, and unknown links are all to be avoided.
● Update Software — All of your software should stay up-to-date, because new patches and security adjustments are being constantly being developed. Keep your operating system, programs, and antivirus software current at all times.
● Tighten Security — Most cyber attacks come from inside a company, either due to malicious intent or vulnerability caused by human error. Limit access to sensitive data and make use of audit trails for your files. Require that all passwords contain at least one of each of the following: an upper case letter, a lower case letter, a number, and a special character.
● Evaluate BYOD Policies — Employee devices are the norm today, so make sure your policy addresses security issues that they present. Powerful tools include remote wiping, cloud-based business software, and anti-malware apps.
● Have a Disaster Recovery Plan — A data breach can ruin your business if you don’t have a robust backup and recovery system in place. Backup data should be current enough to be useful, but make sure you have access to clean data that dates to before a breach and has been stored at a different location.
● Get Insurance — Despite your best efforts, the worst may still happen. Protect yourself and your company from expensive litigation with insurance against cyber attacks. You may be glad you did.
Cyber attacks are a real risk for SMBs, so don’t neglect to protect your digital ecosystem. For help managing your Iowa-based business’s data security, backup, and recovery, contact Infomax Office Systems today.