The security of your IT network is a crucial factor that is an ongoing challenge in today’s world full of sophisticated hackers. It takes time and dedication—along with the help of trained IT professionals—to maintain and manage the IT security of your business.
Looming security threats surface every day, with new cybersecurity threats on the horizon. Hackers are constantly finding new and creative ways to flood your system with malware, spyware, and other viruses. Fortunately, there are preventive measures that your business can implement to help secure your IT network. Here are 5 tips that can help protect your business from some of these potential security threats.
- Always encrypt. Encrypting your data ensures that, if it does get into the wrong hands, the data will be unreadable to the hacker. Encrypted data requires a password to decode the data. For wireless access points, be sure to use the WPA2 encryption method to protect your essential data. It’s also a good idea to encrypt the data on all company laptops. This will protect data on the devices in the event that they are stolen or lost.
- Create strong passwords. The quality and strength of company-wide passwords often get overlooked when dealing with IT security; however, this is an important aspect that can make a big difference in your security measures. Reiterate the importance of keeping passwords confidential among your employees. If a password leak occurs, all of your data could be up for grabs.
- Utilize antivirus software on all PCs. Make sure all of your antivirus software subscriptions are current. If any subscriptions are outdated, these PCs become vulnerable to attacks. Just one infected PC has the potential to affect your entire network.
- Frequently scan your system. A scan of your system will often detect malware and spyware that is hidden deep within your network. Scanning can also spot potential accessibility issues that can make your network vulnerable to hackers. Daily security scans are your best bet to maintain the highest level of security. These types of daily scans are often best handled by a trusted IT partner, such as Monster Technology.
- Perform regular off-site backups. Even with loads of security measures in place, it never hurts to be prepared for the worst-case scenario. Off-site backups protect your data off of the network. This means, in the case of an emergency or if your network experiences a ransomware attack, you will always have your data available to access and restore if necessary.
The security and confidentiality of your company’s data is crucial to your long-term success as a business. Contact Monster Technology today to learn more about the IT network security measures that need to be in place to help protect your business data.